Hi! Any plans for adding user-specific custom instructions for Appfarm AI, in addition to the solution-specific ones? I have a number of style-related instructions that are solution-agnostic, and currently have to update them in multiple places whenever I want to make a change. It would be great to maintain these in one place and only combine them with solution-specific instructions where relevant.
Hello!
There are great things in the making regarding custom instructions (memory, skille, specs etc).
However, they are all tied to a solution. We are not sure a custom instructions that “automatically follows the user whereever he/she logs in” is a good approach, since a style should be unique/tied to a solution and not a user. Please elaborate on that need, and we may take that into account when considering further extensions!
This turned into a bit of an essay, but I hope it helps to clarify:
I assumed the AI instructions were personal, since you open them by clicking your profile picture to get to settings. From your response I’m guessing they’re actually shared with all developers working on the solution? If so, it might be worth making that clearer in the UI.
I see your point about solution specifics. Data model conventions, domain terminology, and business rules belong with the solution. But some things are the same no matter which regardless of the solution, such as naming conventions, language, and formatting (basically, what we used to call the Appfarm Style Guide).
As a partner, we work across many client solutions but try to follow one consistent set of rules. Right now there’s no single place to maintain them. Whenever we refine a convention, someone has to update it in every solution, and in practice they drift apart.
For comparison, Claude Code handles this in layers. A company can set rules that apply to everyone, each project has its own instructions that the whole team shares, and I can also keep my own instructions and skills that follow me into every project. Everything gets combined, and if something conflicts, the project wins over my personal setup (and company rules win over both). So each project only needs to describe what’s actually special about it, and you skip having to copy the general rules into every repo.
Something similar would be really useful in Create:
- Team/organization instructions: shared conventions maintained once by a partner or customer organization and inherited by every solution they work on. This is the level we’re missing most.
- Solution instructions: what’s specific to that solution, overriding the team level where they differ – I guess that’s the only level in place right now.
- Personal instructions: individual preferences about how the AI works with me, like response language, how much it explains, or whether it asks before making changes.
It could also be useful to be able to turn the team instructions off for a given solution, in case a client has their own standards we need to follow.
I second this. It would be nice to have app-specific instructions as different apps can have very different requirements for style and direction of UI. I guess you could add app-specific or flow-specific instructions in the global instruction today? Or would that tamper the execution everywhere else?
Thanks for great input!
And agree, some good suggestions here.