Is there a way to use graphs with string based categories?

I would like to visualize information that resides on other servers using the various charts in Appfarm, but most of these requires me to use date or enums for categories. In my case, the data is retrieved from REST APIs and the categories are string values that can’t easily be mapped to an existing enumeration. Is there a trick to still use the built-in charts? Or alternatively, are there plans to implement support for this? For example, by enabling some kind of runtime enumerations?

For the time being, the only option seems to be to use chart.js or similar in a coded component.

Hello!

I am pretty sure that support for string- og integerbased categories was introduced last year for Advanced Charts. So you would not need to map those string to some Appfarm object class, just use them as categories out-of-the-box. I just tested this internally, and I am able to use string as category.

That is indeed correct. I must have used one of the standard graphs when I tested. Sorry for that.
Would it be possible to support string/integer categories for the Dataset property as well?

Hi!

I see that you may have boolean or number (and enums or object references) as Dataset property, but not string. Registering a challenge on it now!

1 Like

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I am doing something similar now with an advanced bar chart and have a minor problem. Just wanted to check if this is intended behavior.

I have two types of objects, Transaction and Merchandise. I want to see totalt volume bought of each merchandise.

The Transaction has among other things the date and amount of something bought. Every Transaction object points to a Merchandise object. The Merchandise Object contains the description of the merchandise. I want to display the names of the wares as categories.

My data source is the Merchandise objects. And here is where it gets interesting.

• If I use any integer on the Transaction object it doesn’t group at all. Nothing is shown in the chart.
  • If I use any string on the Transaction object it groups by that string as expected.

Edit: I was not using reference data sources so I had an user error. Integer still doesn’t work.